Pages

Smile for the Camera!

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I love Pinterest… and I hate Pinterest at the same time.  Growing up, a birthday party might entail a group trip to Chuck E Cheese if I was lucky, but usually was nothing more than a cake and a sleepover with a few friends.  Somewhere between my childhood and present day, birthdays transformed into a magical, stressful production.  One of my dearest friends always does the most amazing parties for her kids and she loves it all.  She has boundless creativity and birthdays are where she really shines. 

I don’t write this to be critical of birthday productions, but just to show my state of mind surrounding D’s first birthday in our home. 

I love parties and Pinterest, and I wanted his party to be perfect.  We planned for weeks and invited tons of people.  All the details were taken care of, and I was ready to sit back and enjoy the party. 

Everyone was having a good time, and then it was time for presents… and there were tons of them.  I was excited for D to see how much the people around him cared about him.

He opened the first one (an awesome Lego set from a family member), gave a half-smile, then moved on to the next gift.  WHAT!?  I wanted to scream!  Where was the gratitude… the excitement… the emotion?  I nudged him and told him to say thank you, which he did.  Whew! Crisis averted. 

Next gift.  A wrestling figurine.  Same response!  These were two of his favorite types of toys… things that he had been begging us for.  I knew he wanted them, so why was he so dissatisfied?  We kept prompting him to express gratitude after EVERY SINGLE GIFT. 

Nothing in my CPS classes or books that I had read prepared me for this moment.  I replayed the whole scenario and began to get some insight.  I once read a blog by Jen Hatmaker where she talked about how big days were often too much for her little one.  I wasn’t thinking about how important days remind you of family and other special days.  Each birthday and major holiday brought back memories of previous ones… ones with his biological parents.  It reminded him of who was missing this special day.

It was all coming together.  He was being flooded with memories of his bio parents and it was putting a serious damper on the whole party business.  We made it through the party and came up with a new plan for future birthdays.  Big parties were done… at least for now.  We decided that it would be best to go to an event like a concert or sporting event with family and maybe 1 or 2 friends rather than have a party.  This cuts down on the gifts, but is easier for everyone.  And so far, it has worked. 

I get weird looks when I tell people that we aren’t doing a traditional birthday party… but at this point I am pretty used to weird looks.  Celebrating this day is not about my picture of what a perfect birthday should look like.  It is about giving my kid an extra special day, but most importantly reminding them that we are there for them, no matter what.

1 comment:

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS