Pages

Taking Care of Business

Monday, November 9, 2015


When we had the first home visit from CPS, I seriously freaked out in preparation.  I did all of those things that I never, ever normally do.  I scrubbed the grout in our kitchen floor, cleaned the windows, and dusted anything that would hold still.  My husband worked to install safety locks on the bathroom cabinets, put smoke detectors in every room, and locks for the medications.  We had to get a plumbing/gas inspection, buy a fire extinguisher, have that inspected, and create a fire escape plan to be posted in our house.  

Most of these things were relatively easy and cost very little.  Just as a side note to those going through the process- let the companies know why you need these inspections.  In our case, this simplified the inspection and one of the companies charged us nothing because they were so excited about what we were doing.  Don’t let this overwhelm you, just ask the other parents in your class how they did it.  Every class has that one family that is ahead of the game – find them and become friends with them.

One of the steps of the class was to make a “Life Book”, the style of which was left to our discretion.  The purpose of the book was to help the kids find out a little about their forever family before they moved in.  Most families did this like a scrapbook with a few captions on their pictures.   I chose to use a website called mypublisher.com and made a book that was the story of us. 

Each chapter (and I use that word loosely as each was 1-2 pages) was about a different aspect of our life.  Example – chapter 1 was about Phil and me as kids, chapter 2 was about our house, chapter 3 was about our pets, etc.  Each page had photos of our family, our neighborhood, our church, and activities we like to do.  I loved the idea of making it like a story and the last page talked about how our family was missing something important… them. I talked about how we prayed and waited for a really long time to be given just the right kids.  We were only required to make one Life Book, but we made three: one book for each child as well as one that we would keep nice, because like the last post states… kids destroy things.  To this day, my daughter will frequently grab this book to read as her bedtime story.  I love that she smiles when she hears about how much we went through to adopt them.

The last page of our Life Book

Oh yeah, I said one book for EACH child… as in we were planning to adopt two children.  I forgot to mention how during this time, our plans changed from one child to two children.  This was mostly my idea, but my wonderful husband went along with it.  Bless him. 


As a nurse I was required to take a Human Growth and Development class as a prerequisite course.  During the course, I remember studying Erikson’s Stages of Development and something that my instructor said stuck with me.  The first stage of development is “trust vs. mistrust” and she explained how as long as a child has someone that they can trust from an early age, it helps them to progress in their development.  This was the thought behind adopting siblings.  They will have someone that knows their life experiences and has been with them through everything.  In addition, the majority of children in CPS are a part of a sibling group.  Initially, CPS tries to adopt them all together, but if it seems unlikely, these siblings will be separated, sometimes forever, from the only connection that they have with their past.  We thank God that our children were able to stay together and see each other grow through the stages of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS